Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Marriage

We've been studying about the prophet Hosea. Really don't hear people say much about him. Oh sure, they talk about his wife Gomer. Some things never change. Hosea was such a faithful servant of the Lord you just have to wonder if that is the only way he survived. Gomer lived as a harlot. God told Hosea to marry her. Not sure if that was intended to straighten her life up or not. They had three children and again Hosea was faithful to name them as God had told him.

Some bible commentaries say Gomer represented sinful Israel. Worshiping idol gods. But, to show HIs love for Israel God took them anyway. The names of their three children also represented the rejection of Israel. He would scatter them; they were unpitied; they were not called God's people anymore. Hosea was faithful to do as God told him. I feel sure he must have wondered how this would all come about. But, never questioned his God. Gomer was later redeemed to show that Israel would ultimately return to God.

So, the synopsis of the book is Hosea prophesied the future of Israel through his marriage; birth of his children; and eventually Israel is called to repent and enjoy God's blessings. These days we would just send an email to Israel; ask for a endowment for marrying a prostitute; sell the rights to the forthcoming book and movie to the highest bidder so we could recount it next year.

God works in strange ways His wonders to perform. Now days we would see bold headlines "Prophet takes Harlot for Wife" (subline) "Claims God Told Him To". Then we would read in the tabloids, hear on the news and for days to come get a review from all the different media about a "religious freak" making up excuses for his bad marriage. We won't even talk about naming the children. That would be a story that could go indefinitely. People from all over would be flocking to Hoseas door wanting to get the real story. Did God actually speak to you? Did He give you a sign? Well, I suppose you get the idea.

God speaks to me on a daily basis and I talk to Him a lot. Fortunately for me He hasn't given me such tasks as He did Hosea and Gomer. But,then again I'm sure He knows I'm not quite up to the task. I'm happy to just keep on going with what God has given me here. Well, anyway that's kinda the way we see it here.

See all of you next time ..here ...up on

Blessings Hill
Ruth

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

I guess that is not quite the way I have ever thought about Hosea, except for Gomer. I will admit her name is different. The comparison with Israel is very thought provoking. Hosea was indeed a faithul man of God.
I appreciate the observation.
Thanks

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home